Monday 5 September 2011

Autumn Fireworks Skirt

Hello! I disappeared last week didn't I! Sorry about that but I seemed to lose my sewing and blogging Mojo for a bit. I guess life does that to you sometimes.

Anyway, although I have lost my sewing Mojo a bit, I did manage to whip up a quick skirt - and I mean quick! I found a length of jersey in the remnant bin in my local fabric shop for £3 and although I have never sewn with jersey before I just couldn't pass it by! So because this was my first foray into sewing with jersey I kept it nice and simple and just made a gathered skirt with an elastic waist. And as proof as to how easy I kept it....I cut it so that the hem was the selvedge, which reduced the chances of crappy sewing!!!

Another 'location photo-shoot' - this time I'm at the Hillsborough Fort. If you ever get a chance of coming to Northern Ireland I definitely recommend a short visit to the town of Hillsborough - probably one of the prettiest towns we have, with lovely little shops, cafes, traditional pubs...oh and a castle which the Queen stays in when she comes to N.I!


Unfortunately, I have discovered that my sewing machine has started acting up so I need to take it in for a service. No idea when I will back up and running, but hopefully not for too long as I have lots of projects waiting to be started! I guess I can do all the tracing and cutting prep while I wait so that I can launch into sewing as soon as the machine is back.


P.S. I have another reason why I haven't been sewing very much recently...I shall post about it later this week! Prepare for cuteness overload!

7 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Su, really, really gorgeous! How did you find sewing with jersey? Did you have to use an overlocker or did you do it on a regular sewing machine?

    Can't wait to hear your cute news either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie! I don't have an overlocker so it was all done on the sewing machine. I mentioned in the post that my machine has been acting up, so I probably didn't treat the jersey as I should have done! I just sewed up the seam with a regular straight stitch and attached it to the elastic waistband with a zigzag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love the colors! I've also never tried sewing with jersey as of yet, I've always been a bit scared of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the whole outfit - for some reason. I had never thought of making a gathered skirt out of jersey so I will definitely doing that. I also love your shoes - where did you get them from if yodont mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ashley and Travelling Soo. I bought my shoes in Spain a few years ago from a shop called Stradivarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh it DOES look just like fireworks, I love it! I will be on the lookout for some remnant jersey now too, you've inspired me!

    I have never even heard of Hillsborough Fort, I must take a trip there next time I'm home.

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skirt is beautiful. I love it when simple patterns turn out so great. I had a roomate in college who came to the US from Northern Ireland, so I gotta say I love you Irish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they really do make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails