Wednesday 1 June 2011

My Pendrell!



Finally - an 'FO' to share with you! It's been a while since I've had some finished sewing on this blog so I'm really excited to be able to show off my lovely new Pendrell top! I have long admired all the lovely Pendrells out there - for those of you who have not heard of this top before, it's the first pattern from Tasia of Sewaholic. The top has received rave reviews, and I have to say that I am jumping on that band wagon - I LOVE this top. It was fairly easy to make, even in slippy polyester fabric. I followed the sew-along which Tasia held and it was fantastic help. The instructions in the pattern are good - but the sew-along has lots of photos to help you fully understand how to do everything, which I always find very useful.


I decided to go for view A as I don't think I'm really a 'frill' kind of girl - and I have to say that I love this draped sleeve. It really takes the top from basic to classy. When I saw the pattern piece for the draped sleeve I was confused...and nervous - I didn't know how my slippy fabric would behave. But basting really is the key...and pins. Lots and lots of pins!

I had heard that the pattern has a lot of give in it - intentionally so. Based on my measurements I should have cut a size 10, but when I checked the finished garment measurements I decided to try making up a size 8 - and I'm glad I did, it is absolutely perfect for me! Sewaholic patterns are made with pear-shaped ladies in mind, so as a fellow pear (!) I am so delighted that I can cut out a pattern and it fits well without having to grade into a larger size at the hips. I know a lot of ladies had to do a FBA when making up this pattern though, so bare that in mind if you are thinking of making this up and are not pear shaped! Oh, I also didn't bother with a muslin and luckily it turned out that I didn't need to (phew!). I have to admit that I find sewing up a muslin very boring and because I sew so slowly (or rather, infrequently) by the time I get round to sewing the real fabric, I have slightly lost interest!



I know Tasia always wears her Pendrells tucked in, but I equally like the top un-tucked, for a more relaxed look (as above).



Here is a close-up of the print. I'm really into blues at the moment, so this fits into my wardrobe very well. Actually, I know right now that this top is going to be the most worn item that I have sewn. So far I have sewn up things that I like, but aren't things I would wear on a daily basis. It's something I've been thinking about recently and something I think I need to bare in mind when making my future sewing plans. Speaking of future sewing plans...I see many more Pendrells...in lots of different colours!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice, it looks great! The blue is very pretty. You did a wonderful job with the sleeves, spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great un-tucked! I think I've only seen this blouse tucked in on people, but I love the more relaxed look. Love that blue print, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely and a gorgeous fabric - I LOVE blue flower prints. In fact I'm wearing my blue flower print Pendrell today! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Maybe I should get in on some Pendrell action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Your version is very pretty--love the blues. I too am trying to make more versatile clothes that I will wear more often--I've made a lot of pretty dresses, but they aren't worn as often as separates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely version! That print is so pretty and fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, pretty. I've not come across the pattern before, but may have to hunt it down now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric, so pretty. Seeing so many lovely versions of the Pendrell, I shall have to add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they really do make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails