Tuesday 6 July 2010

Pattern Challenge: New Look 6902

As I have moved over to a new blog (visit my old one here: Starfishes) I guess I should mention that I had previously signed up for a couple of challenges - I thought it would be fun to give myself goals to aim for rather than just doing random sewing. To be honest though, my sewing has still ended up being rather random (although I do have a game plan afoot.....more on this in another post)!

The first challenge I signed up for was the Pattern Challenge, hosted by the lovely Sarah from Come and see the Seitz where I signed up to produce some summer gear and drafted my own goal of:

To make 3 Summer outfits by June 30th

Erm...yes...ok - didn't quite meet that goal very well! But to be fair, when I made that goal I didn't realise that I was going to be moving in with my boyfriend and have my sewing machine stuck in a box laden corner for a couple of months!!! So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Ah well - since I made the goal, perhaps I can tweak it - shall I move the goal post to read "the end of August"....that way it will tie nicely in with my second challenge:

Self-Stitched-September, hosted by the equally lovely Zoe off of 'So, Zo...'. For this challenge I have pledged:

'I, Suzanna Wilson at starfishesbelfast.blogspot.com, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-September. I endeavor to wear at least 1 handmade or refashioned item of clothing and/or accessories every day for the duration of September 2010'


It's a very big challenge for me, and I will be so impressed if I managed to pull it off. Lets hope I do keep up this sewing momentum and can produce enough gear to last a month!!
 
Find links to both challenges on the right hand column of my blog.
 
So, on to my latest FO: New Look 6902
 
Look guys - I'm smiling!
 
Basic compared to most of the gorgeous stuff being produced by the other seamstresses online, but I'm still a beginner - so you have to start somewhere!!
 
The main purple fabric is actually out of my mother's stash (hers is like an Aladdin's cave - I salivate every time I look at it!). Perhaps not exactly what I would have gone for had I been buying it for myself, but since it was free I can't complain! I had a real issue trying to decide what would make a good contrasting band and straps. I played with the idea of green or yellow for quite some time, but in the end I had a tiny bit of red in my stash left over from my blue skirt and thought - why not! To justify my pairing of red with purple please see these stylish examples:
 

Yes, far superior items to mine but they are totally rocking red and purple! Anyway, on to the pattern review:
 
Pattern Description: New Look 6902. Shift dress with contrasting band and straps. Gathered under bust and zip down the back.

Pattern Sizing: Based on my measurements I cut a size 14 (with a heavy heart) to make the muslin. Although it looked ok, I knew I could get away with going down to at least a 12 - so the FO is made a size 12 (I could probably got into a 10, but I wanted a comfortable summer dress!).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Generally yes. I'm a beginner so most instructions take a while for me to decipher!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes: The different variations and combinations of tops, straps and skirt lengths - lots of fun options.
Dislikes: The dress on it's own seemed to lack a certain je ne sais quoi, but once I added a belt, cardie, accessories I realised the dress had a lot more potential. I think the belted help by making me look a little less pregnant without it! (I'm NOT pregnant btw!)

What techniques did you learn: I'm new to sewing so I learnt loads!
- Gathering...yep had never done that before
- adding a lining to the bust section and stem stitching it down
- sewing in a exposed zip (still need practice in that)

Fabric Used: 100% cotton from my mum's stash. Purple is a rather crisp batik cotton from Indonesia (I used to live there) and the red is a very soft quilting weight cotton.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: none - done by the book!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I am tempted to make a maxi version of this, maybe with a different strap/top combo but the poofy skirt makes me a bit hesitant - perhaps a fabric that draped better would overcome this issue

Lessons I take away with me: Well I learnt to be more careful with strap pinning and that making a muslin is advantageous - I pinned one of the straps in with a twist and didn't notice until it was all sewn it and impossible to unpick! The FO had straight straps! I need to be more careful with strap positioning - the straps are totally out of line from my bra straps, which is a shame. Also, I need to practice sewing a zip in a lot more, as my work was a bit shoddy. Also, my mum pointed out a way of finishing of the body before sewing in the zip which gives a much neater finish - this wasn't mentioned in the pattern at all!!!
 
Doh, dodgy work!

With a little bit of accessorising!



Phew! Sorry for the mega long post!! The next project I'm working on is a little red, black and white clutch and also a beach bag. I'm off on my holidays next week and it would be nice to take them with me!!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! I LOVE it with the belt and sweater! Great job and thanks for the thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, especially the color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys - honestly makes my day when I get such lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The colors are so fresh and it fits you perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am trying to make this dress but I'm having a hard time. I just cute it but the top is so big on me and the skirt seam to be huge. I have no idea how to add the lining. Would you mind helping me? My email is elisvanity at yahoo dot com dot br

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they really do make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails