I had been meaning to try my hand at making my own t-shirts, as well as finally getting round to using my serger for more than just neatening edges, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.
The pattern is a PDF download, so instant gratification. Well, not really - we all know there is a fair amount of work involved when it comes to PDFs: printing, cutting, taping, cutting again…urgh! But I have to say, this wee pattern comes together very quickly, and it even fit completely onto my dining table, so that was a back-saving bonus!
I bought this jersey fabric especially for the Plantain, but naughty me, I didn't check or bring the pattern with me to the fabric shop, so I erred on the side of caution and bought 2 meters - which was more than enough. So I have a fair bit left over, but annoyingly not enough to do very much with. I'm hoping I can squeeze SOMETHING out of the remnant as it would be such a waste otherwise.
So as I mentioned, this project was my first real attempt at using my serger to sew jersey - and oh my god….it was like an epiphany. Honestly, I just couldn't believe how amazingly easy and satisfying it was to put this together!!! Again I erred on the side of caution when choosing which size to cut out and I went big(ish) with the thought that I can always take it in, but because I was sewing it up on the serger I wouldn't be able to let it out due to the sergers knife! It ended up a bit bigger than I had planned, but I decided to leave it, and after wearing it a couple of times I actually love it as it is - it is super comfy.
One of the things I absolutely LOVE about this pattern is the neckline. I have seen some comments on other blogs about how low the neckline on the Plantain is but for me it is perfect. I may use this neckline as a template for future makes, because I think it is probably one of the most flattering styles I have made.
Unfortunately I had initially been thinking about entering this t-shirt into the competition Deer and Doe were running but fate was not on my side (what is it with me and competitions - I missed the Laurel one too!); I needed a twin ballpoint needle to do the top stitching (well I probably could have done without, but I WANTED one!) and ordered it online - except, when my order arrived (with only 3 days to go until the deadline) they had forgotten to include my needles!!! They were very good and sent them off to me straight away, but I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to finish the top if I waited. So I headed off into Belfast…and after visiting 3 sewing/craft shops (as well as previously visiting a big sewing shop outside of Belfast) I came away with no needles - apparently the people of NI aren't in need of twin ballpoint needles!!! Well, as it turns out, as much as I love my t-shirt, I don't think it would have stood much of a chance against the finalist - do check them out, some beautiful modifications!
So, some deets on the make:
Pattern: Free - thanks Eleonore!
Fabric: 2m jersery @ £10.49 = £20.98
Black thread: £0.79
Twin ballpoint needle: £3.59
A bit pricey for a simple long sleeve t-shirt, but as I said, I bought a more fabric than I needed. So hopefully I can counterbalance that by squeezing something else out of the leftovers.
But…discovering how amazing it is to sew knits: PRICELESS!!!! Infact, this is kinda how I felt once I made this top:
(why yes I did make that meme especially! lol)
Needless to say, there will be more knits to follow!