Friday 27 September 2013

A Sewing Epiphany?

Close Up on Presser Foot Sewing Over Stitch Starter and Onto Fabric

Image sourced from HERE

Now I know this may not be news to many of you, and you may already subscribe to the Craftsy Blog and will therefore have seen this recently, but I thought I would share it here just in case it might help someone else.

This has to be one of the things that I find most frustrating and annoying when sewing with a lightweight fabric (such as chiffon or silk). You spend so much time and care to prepare your fabric, using special pins, cutting it out sandwiched between two layers of tissue paper, changing your needle…and then you put the fabric under the sewing machine foot, press the pedal down and watch the fabric get eaten up by the machine! I can tell you this has definitely caused the most swearing and screaming to come out of my sewing room over anything else!

I did learn the trick about holding onto the needle thread and bobbin thread before you start sewing, and quite often that does it, but not always. So when I read about using a Stitch Starter on the Craftsy Blog, it honestly felt like an epiphany. It’s so simple but solves the problem – and it works on bulky fabric too (to avoid that horrible jamming and birds nest worth of thread accumulating on the underside of your fabric! I’m really excited to give it a try – and I’m currently working with some very misbehaving slinky fabric so it’s perfect timing.

If you are interested in finding out more about a Stitch Starter check out this post.

I also see that the Coletterie has just written a post about sewing with delicate fabrics which might also be useful.

Disclaimer: I have just realised that this post sounds like I’m getting something from Craftsy, but I’m not and they haven’t contacted me, I just wanted to share the information!

Related Posts with Thumbnails